Possible lane closures July 4th weekend
JACKSON, MISS., Friday, July 2, 2010—While construction and maintenance crews will be joining much of the nation in celebrating the July 4th weekend, the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) would like to encourage motorists to buckle up and be aware of possible lane closures as you travel through the state.
“Crews statewide continue to make progress on projects large and small throughout the state,” said MDOT Executive Director Larry L. “Butch” Brown. “While there will be some orange barrels on the highway, many work zones will be open to traffic during the holidays. Commuters are urged to slow down, stay alert and buckle up for safety.”
MDOT announces the following closures/travel information to the public as they travel across the state. There will be no contractor activities during the holiday weekend.
MDOT District One:
· U.S. Highway 278/State Route 25 will be closed at the Railroad Underpass in Amory.
MDOT District Two:
· I-55 Rest Area at Vaiden in Carroll County has reopened to the traveling public.
MDOT District Three:
· There will be lane closures on I-55 southbound in Yazoo County between Vaughan (Exit 133) and Highway 432 (Exit 139).
· There will be southbound and northbound lane closures on Highway 49 in Madison County between Flora and the Big Black River.
· The I-55 Rest Area at West in Holmes County is closed for repairs.
· The I-55 Rest Area in Copiah County is closed for repairs.
MDOT District Five:
· There will be a lane closure on I-20 in Lauderdale County. Commuters should not be affected in this area.
MDOT District Six:
· There will be one-way traffic in either direction on I-59 through Laurel.
MDOT District Seven:
· Highway 570 west of McComb is open to traffic.
· There is a bridge replacement ongoing on Highway 42 between Bassfield and Prentiss. There is a detour in place for commuters. No activity is expected during the holiday weekend.
· There will be lane closures on Highway 28 between Pinola and the Copiah County Line in Simpson County.
· There will be lane closures on Highway 532 near Mount Olive in Covington County. No activity is scheduled over the July 4th weekend.