Skip to content

Cobras throttle Puckett Wolves 47-21

Wesson QB Jacob Fischer, 14, rolls out after faking to Antonio Miller, 18. Shown blocking are Ryan Spear, 59, and Payton Cupit, 17. (Tracy Fischer)

Wesson head coach Tommy Clopton got to scratch a name off his to-do list this past Friday evening as the Wesson Cobras (5-5, 4-1) laid a beating on the Puckett Wolves 47-21 and locked the Cobras a home game during the first round of the playoffs.
 “Anytime you get to host a playoff game is great,” stated Clopton.  “Our guys played hard for four quarters and we won a very important game.”
The Cobras without the win would have finished anywhere from 2nd place to 4th place and it could have meant a road trip to Bassfield.  The Cobras however pulled off the victory and host the North Forrest Eagles at home next Friday at 7:00 p.m.
 The Cobras got a whale of a game from running back Steven Jones who rushed for 253 yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries.  Austin Graham finished the game with 117 yards on 15 carries and two touchdowns for the Cobras.
The Cobras, who trailed 7-6 after one quarter, got its only score of that quarter on a 37 yard Steve Jones run.  The failed point after attempt put the Cobras down 7-6 after the first quarter.
Wesson answered back on the Puckett score with a 40 yard Austin Graham run.  The 2 point conversion failed and the Cobras led 12-7.  Puckett running back Allen Stevenson would take the lead back at 13-12 on his own 56 yard run.  Graham would then counter with his own 27 yard run and a two point conversion run to put the Cobras up 20-13.
Wesson would go up at half 26-13 on a Jacob Fischer 26 yard TD pass to junior wideout Jay Haynes.  The failed PAT sent both teams to the locker room.
Puckett came out of the dressing room and took the ball away from the Cobra offense on a 55 yard Hakeem Carr fumble recovery.  Carr would add the two point conversion run to put Puckett within striking distance at 26-21.
The Cobras, already minus one starter from an earlier altercation, went on the attack the rest of the way.  Steve Jones would add runs of 3 and 12 yards respectively to put the Cobras up 40-21 after a two point pass from Fischer to senior tight end Derrick Lyles.
Junior running back Antonio Miller would seal the deal late with a four yard TD run to put the contest out of reach and send the Cobras back home to Copiah County with a win and the ever-so important #2 seed.
Senior QB Jacob Fischer had a good game completing 4 of 6 passes for 67 yards and a touchdown while Miller added 42 yards and a touchdown.
Defensively, the Cobras were led by Payton Cupit who had eight stops.  Lyles had seven tackles from the linebacker spot and a fumble recovery while Haynes added six tackles.
Wesson faces North Forrest at home this Friday night at 7:00.

Leave a Comment