Skip to content

Voter ID is required for June 3 primaries

Beginning with the June 3, 2014, Primary Election,  all Mississippians voting at the polls will be required to show a photo ID card.  Also, individuals voting in person by absentee ballot in person in the Circuit Clerk’s office prior to the June 3, 2014 Primary Election Day will be required to show a photo ID.
 Eligible voters casting an absentee ballot by mail for the Primary Election on June 3, 2014, do NOT have to show a photo ID. Also, overseas and uniformed military voting by absentee ballot by email or fax do not have to show a photo ID.
Acceptable Types of ID
Any one of the following types of photo IDs may be used on Election Day:

  • a driver’s license;
  • a photo ID card issued by a branch, department, or entity of the State of Mississippi;
  • a United States passport;
  • a government employee ID card;
  • a firearms license;
  • a student photo ID issued by an accredited Mississippi university, college, or community/junior college;
  • a United States military ID;
  • a tribal photo ID; 
  • any other photo ID issued by any branch, department, agency or entity of the United States government or any State government;
  • or, a Mississippi Voter Identification Card.

What if I don’t have any of the acceptable forms of photo ID?
If a registered voter does not have any of these acceptable forms of photo ID, a Mississippi Voter Identification Card will be provided at no cost to the voter at any Circuit Clerk’s office in Mississippi. Beginning in January 2014, a FREE Mississippi Voter Identification Card is available at any Circuit Clerk’s office in Mississippi. Application for a card may be made during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
Call (601) 894-1241 or 1-855-868-3745 for information.
What if my ID is expired?
You may use an expired photo ID as long as it is an acceptable form of photo ID, and is not more than 10 years old.  The expired ID must contain the name and photograph of the voter, and have been validly issued by the federal or a state government.
For more information visit the Secretary of State’s website at

Leave a Comment