Skip to content

Fire destroys historic home in Haz.

An early morning fire totally destroyed a historic home located on 228 Monticello Street in Hazlehurst.
According to Jimmy Harper, Hazlehurst Fire Department, they received the call at 11 p.m. on June 9. “It appears the fire started somewhere on the second floor. It was  a two-story house with an attic.”
“There was so much smoke that it spread throughout the town. All of the fire departments responded to the call. Allen,  Bethel, Strong Hope, Smyrna assisted the Hazlehurst Fire Department.  We finally had to pull back once it made it into the attic space and the ceilings,” Harper continued.
The first floor was the residence for the owner Cicilia Papas. She rented out the second floor. “One tenant was at home, but everyone got out safely.  The fire just spread so fast, and the space was just so big,” continued Harper.
The home was still smoldering even with the constant rain.

Leave a Comment