The Ellis House, an historic 125-year-old home on Extension Street in Hazlehurst, caught fire late this evening and was destroyed.
Several fire departments responded to the blaze, which was still smoldering at 8:30 p.m. Law enforcement blocked the street to allow responders complete, unfettered access to the blaze. A large contingent of stunned neighbors were gathered on parts of the sidewalk watching.
The owners were reportedly out of the city when the blaze started.
A complete story will be available in this week’s print edition of the Copiah County Courier. Follow us on Twitter: @copiahcourier.