Skip to content

Shooting investigation leads to arrest of Crystal Springs man

Michael Dixon

Michael Dixon

A Crystal Springs man is in the Copiah County Jail, charged with attempted murder after a shooting last Tuesday evening.
Michael Dixon, age 39, was arrested at Copiah County Sheriff’s Office on Thursday, August 4 after he was brought there by family members. Dixon is accused of shooting 34-year-old Timothy Lewis of Copiah County in the head. The two were in the Rocky Falls area west of Crystal Springs when the alleged shooting happened on the evening of August 2.

Investigator Sharon Kelly said that a resident of the area contacted the sheriff’s office about a suspicious person at 7:41 p.m, after Lewis asked the person if he needed his yard mowed, even though the grass was freshly cut. The neighbor declined the offer and dialed 911.

Lewis, who Kelly said had been riding with Dixon in a late model Dodge truck all day Tuesday, was picked up by Dixon just down the road after Lewis conversed with the resident, Kelly explained.
A deputy was dispatched to the area and found Lewis walking down the road a few minutes later. “The deputy made contact with Mr. Lewis.  Then, Mr. Lewis said ‘I’ve been hit or shot’. He reached his hand behind his head and showed the deputy that he was bleeding,” Kelly said.  The deputy immediately reported the incident and first-responder unit was sent.

Lewis was transported to Hardy Wilson Memorial Hospital via ASAP ambulance, then airlifted to University Medical Center in Jackson. The injury was consistent with a gunshot wound, and the investigation into who allegedly shot Lewis began. Lewis is currently in stable condition at UMC after the bullet grazed his skull, Kelly said.

Kelly said that statements made by Lewis and evidence collected at the scene led to contact being made with Dixon.

Dixon appeared before Justice Court Judge Vicky Ramsey on Thursday, who set bond at $75,000. Kelly said that Dixon is the first in the county to be charged with attempted murder, after the state changed the statute last year.

“We are going to present all the evidence to the grand jury. He faces 25 years to life in prison if he is convicted,” Kelly said.

Leave a Comment