Georgetown Methodist Church is working on its nomination for the National Register of Historic Places. Tricia Nelson-Easley has been working with the church and collecting information in hopes that the application will be approved. Although the building is barely over 75 years old, it is important architecturally as an example of the Craftsman style, popular in the 1920’s and 30’s.
Having had few alterations, the building has the classical hipped-roof, exposed rafter tails, extensive use of beaded board, and “school house” lighting all popular with Craftsman buildings. This is not the first church building for the congregation, however.
The congregation first met in a “house” as early as the 1850’s. The location of the first house of worship is not known. On April 22, 1882, tragedy struck. A cyclone came through Georgetown and destroyed the church. Approximately one year later to the day, another cyclone came through as the congregation was meeting, destroying the building and causing injury and death. Detailed accounts of how members escaped the destruction are documented in newspaper accounts. The same series of storms also caused a lot of damage in Wesson and Beauregard.
In the 1930’s, the church secured the present site and built a new building under the leadership of L. T. Nelson, during his fourth year as pastor. The first service was conducted by G.E. Allan, pastor 1935–1936. Dr. Charles W. Crisler, presiding elder of the Brookhaven District, preached the sermon and dedicated the church shortly thereafter on November 6, 1936.
The church is currently maintained by the Board of Trustees, primarily composed of the family and friends of Carolyn Beasley, a church member since the 1970’s. The church needs some repairs and the small congregation is worried about the future of the building. Ms. Beasley is hoping that National Register status will solidify its historical significance in the eyes of the community and bring those who care about it together so that it can be saved for future generations.
All are welcome to visit the church on July 5th at 6:30 p.m. when the Copiah County Historical & Genealogical Society will host a presentation and tour of the building. Anyone who has additional information about the church and/or pictures to share is asked to attend or contact Tricia at 601-892-0195.